This guide covers features that are unique to Maranatha and not covered in the general guides.
- 1 Homepage
- 2 Content Notes
- 3 Image Sizes
- 4 Translations
- 5 Demo Media
- 6 Common Questions
- 7 Changelog
See the Maranatha Homepage guide.
Maranatha features a single-column content area. The width and font size are carefully designed for optimal readability. Important elements like images, blockquotes and galleries extend outward for a dramatic effect (example). When a wider content area is desired, the Wide Content page template can be used. Certain pages use it automatically (such as the event calendar).
The clutter and mobile-unfriendliness of a sidebar is eliminated. Instead, an auto-generated section navigation appears below the header. This compact navigation replaces the most common sidebar widgets. When widgets are desired, they can be placed in the theme’s footer area.
Most admin areas that accept an image upload show the size that the image will be cropped/resized to. For absolute control, you can manually resize your images before uploading.
300×50 is the maximum recommended size. Use a transparent PNG. The image is resized to 30 pixels in height when the “sticky bar” is present after scrolling.
The logo image is not resized upon uploading so it is important to resize it beforehand. You may want to read the HiDPI Logo instructions as well.
Images appearing in the header are 1600×400. The default header image is set in the Customizer. Each page or post can have its own image of the same size that will override the default. These images are also shown on lists of posts at one-half size.
Homepage section (CT Section widget) images are cropped to 1680×1050. If you upload a larger image it will be resized and cropped. For the best result, precisely size your image before uploading and compress it to under 200 KB in file size (for faster loading).
The image set on a person is resized/cropped to 240×240.
The CT Highlight widget can be used in the footer widget area. It’s size is 768×512.
Gallery photos and photos embedded in content can be any size and the theme will show a resized version for more optimal viewing but the originals are stored on the server. Since digital camera photos can be several megabytes, you may want to resize photos to no more than 1024×1024 before uploading.
The photos and videos used in the theme’s demo are not licensed for distribution and not included with the theme. You can obtain your own licenses if you are interested in using any them on your site.
Lightstock sells Christian-themed stock photography. You get 10 free credits when you register after clicking a link to their site from ours.
- Preacher speaking into microphone
- Man standing in the field with hands raised
- Man kneeling in prayer at the altar of a church
- Bible, wallet, passport, sunglasses, and iPhone on a table
- Family Saying Grace At Outdoor Picnic
- Men reading the Bible at a bible study
- Women sitting on a couch at a Bible study
- People entering a church
- Group holding hands in prayer
- Earbuds resting on a Bible
- Map and pins
- Marshall Point Lighthouse
- Preacher 6
- Young Family
- Couple giving two young children piggyback rides
- Elementary Age Schoolchildren Answering Question In Class
- Amazon river blissful evening
Unsplash photos are free to use.
Please see the Updates guide for instructions on how to update the theme.
1.4 (November 7, 2016)
Blog Post: Video Background Added to Maranatha
- Update framework to 1.9
- Add support for video background in first CT Section widget on homepage
- Change “Image Opacity” field to “Opacity” now that it applies to images and video
- Sidestep issue with homepage scroll arrow being misaligned in Microsoft Edge browser
- Update language files
1.3.1 (September 27, 2016)
- Update framework to 1.8.6
- Automatically set permalink structure to “Post name” when sample content imported (sample content uses this format)
1.3 (September 7, 2016)
Blog Post: New Features for All Themes
- Update framework to 1.8.5 (includes changes in 1.8.1, 1.8.2, 1.8.3 and 1.8.4)
- Add “Register” button to event when new Registration URL field is used
- Make soundfaith.com embeds responsive
- Add Swedish translation by Robert Granat
- Add Montserrat font to logo, menu, heading
- Make ‘Expiring Soon’ admin notice a warning (orange) and not error (red)
- Update admin notices to use new class names
- Add Polylang support to CT Archives widget
- Improve notice to install Church Theme Content plugin (now goes to plugin search result)
- Remove deprecated tags from style.css
- Simplify email encoding description in meta boxes
- Correct default map type override to ROADMAP (not ROAD)
- Update language files (new strings to be translated)
1.2 (June 30, 2016)
Blog Post: Updates for Google Maps
- Update framework to 1.8 (includes changes in 1.7.9)
- Make Google Maps use API Key from Church Theme Content plugin settings
- Make post content with image or embed show when there is no text content
- Resolve issue with sermon series index page not updating (transients issue)
- Fix breadcrumb path which mistakenly included /blog/ in base URL for date archives
- Update CT Meta Box to 2.0.1 (translation security)
- Add support for new event Registration URL field in Church Theme Content plugin (button will display in next version)
- Make #hash in URL smoothscroll to anchor with offset for sticky menu
- Fix issue with book index being cut off in Explorer / Edge when there is only one book
- Fix issue with people group archive alignment (height)
- Fix issue with search form in menu not working when icon clicked on mobile
- Fix issue with position of checkbox and radio inputs
1.1 (May 17, 2016)
Blog Post: Maintenance Releases — Going 100% SSL
- Update framework to 1.7.8 (includes changes in 1.7.6 and 1.7.7)
- Change churchthemes.com URLs to https (including license status checks, updates and sample content imports)
- Show admin bar in way that is compatible with sticky menu
- Add support for plugin-provided shortcodes in CT Section widget
- Add CSS to make pre tag wrap long text to next line
- Remove erroneous ‘Download Video’ hover tooltip from sermon Save button
- Make CT Categories dropdown work when Give plugin is installed
- Avoid Theme Check iframe false positive on generic embed function
- Fix incorrect textdomain
- Update language files
1.0.5 (March 9, 2016)
- Limit matchHeight on person short only to archive and page template (fixes error on search introduced in last update)
1.0.4 (March 8, 2016)
- Make mail icon show for mailto and URLs with “newsletter” in URL (append ?newsletter to any URL)
- Fix alignment on people archive when content height for each person varies
- Fix meta widget so that its list content shows
1.0.3 (February 17, 2016)
- Add French translation by Jean Berney
- Make wide page templates have effect
- Fix bug with calendar day table cell not aligning top when four or more events in other of same week
- Reduce top margin on comment submit button when logged in
1.0.2 (December 11, 2015)
Compatibility Update: This update has changes relating to WordPress 4.4. Update both the theme and WordPress for the best experience. Also see 1.0.1 below.
Blog Post: Theme Updates for WordPress 4.4
- Adjust comment submit button for new WordPress 4.4 field layout
- Fix styling issue causing comments widget not to show comments
- Prevent person’s name from linking to profile when there is no content
1.0.1 (December 9, 2015)
Compatibility Update: This update has changes relating to WordPress 4.4. Update both the theme and WordPress for the best experience.
- Update framework to 1.7.5
- Fix errors on sermon pages with WordPress 4.4
- Fix error on Customizer when no pages have been created
- Remove Locations link from breadcrumb when there is only one location
1.0 (November 30, 2015)
- First release