This guide covers features that are unique to Exodus and not covered in the general guides.
- 1 Homepage
- 2 Location in Footer
- 3 Image Sizes
- 4 Translations
- 5 Demo Media
- 6 Common Questions
- 7 Changelog
- 7.1 2.1.1 (September 27, 2016)
- 7.2 2.1 (September 7, 2016)
- 7.3 2.0 (June 30, 2016)
- 7.4 1.5.3 (May 17, 2016)
- 7.5 1.5.2 (December 11, 2015)
- 7.6 1.5.1 (December 9, 2015)
- 7.7 1.5 (October 27, 2015)
- 7.8 1.4.6 (September 17, 2015)
- 7.9 1.4.5 (September 10, 2015)
- 7.10 1.4.4 (August 17, 2015)
- 7.11 1.4.3 (June 1, 2015)
- 7.12 1.4.2 (April 30, 2015)
- 7.13 1.4.1 (March 5, 2015)
- 7.14 1.4 (March 4, 2015)
- 7.15 1.3.1 (January 23, 2015)
- 7.16 1.3 (January 7, 2015)
- 7.17 1.2 (December 18, 2014)
- 7.18 1.1.3 (October 9, 2014)
- 7.19 1.1.2 (October 2, 2014)
- 7.20 1.1.1 (June 4, 2014)
- 7.21 1.1 (June 4, 2014)
- 7.22 1.0.1 (May 16, 2014)
- 7.23 1.0 (April 29, 2014)
See the Exodus Homepage guide.
You can add one or more locations to your website. The first location is automatically shown in the footer on every page. To keep the location from showing in the footer, go to Appearance > Customize > Footer and uncheck the box by “Show Location”.
Most admin areas that accept an image upload show the size that the image will be cropped/resized to. For absolute control, you can manually resize your images beforehand.
450×100 is the maximum recommended size. Logos will never show wider than 500 pixels. The height can be greater than 100 pixels but that is a comfortable height.
The logo image is not resized upon uploading so it is important to resize it beforehand. PNG and JPEG images are recommended for web use. You may want to read the HiDPI Logo instructions as well.
Post & Page Images
- Post Featured Image – 450×450 (on posts, sermons, events, etc.)
- Page Featured Image – 1700×350 (optional banner showing at top of a page)
- Homepage Slide – 1700×500
- Highlight Widget – 750×500
Wide Image Notes
Slides and page banners extend beyond the content area. On some screens this means they also extend beyond the viewable screen area. They do not fit 100% in order to maintain a comfortable height.
- If you are using text in your images, we recommend placing that text toward the center of the image (reserve 400 pixels on the left and right sides).
- Resize your browser window to test your slide and page banner images at all possible sizes
Gallery photos and photos embedded in content can be any size and the theme will show a resized version for more optimal viewing but the originals are stored on the server. Since digital camera photos can be several megabytes, you may want to resize photos to no more than 1024×1024 before uploading.
See Demo Media below for photos used in the demo. Also see our Recommendations for sources of stock photography.
- English (en_US)
- French (fr_FR) by Serge Teweuchi
- German (de_DE) by Michael Wildenhain and FeG Dresden
- Portuguese (pt_BR) by Felipe Rodrigues
- Dutch (nl_NL) by Filadelfia Gemeente Zwaagwesteinde
- Romanian (ro_RO) by Laura Vlad Mihaela
- Slovak / Slovenčina (sk_SK) by Patrik Varmecký
Please contact us if you would like to contribute your translation for other churches to use.
The photos and videos used in the theme’s demo are not licensed for distribution and not included with the theme. You can obtain your own licenses if you are interested in using any them on your site.
Lightstock sells Christian-themed stock photography. You get 10 free credits when you register after clicking a link to their site from ours.
- Part the Red Sea
- Close up of ripe grapes on a vine
- People entering a church
- Group holding hands in prayer
- Earbuds resting on a Bible
- Why does my slide or page banner image go off the screen with Exodus?
- How can I show or hide our location in the footer of Exodus?
Please see the Updates guide for instructions on how to update the theme.
2.1.1 (September 27, 2016)
- Update framework to 1.8.6
- Automatically set permalink structure to “Post name” when sample content imported (sample content uses this format)
- Make after-import action replace URLs of new sample content source
- Make second level menu dropdown open left if will go off screen opening right
- Update Customizer default footer icons: remove Google+, add Instagram and Pinterest
2.1 (September 7, 2016)
Compatibility Update: This update resolves an issue with Google Maps suddenly not appearing (first reported September 7). Google made a change on their end that the theme is now compatible with. Please update to ensure all of your maps continue to show (this is unrelated to their new API key requirement).
Blog Post: New Features for All Themes
- Update framework to 1.8.5 (includes changes in 1.8.1, 1.8.2, 1.8.3 and 1.8.4)
- Fix critical issue of Google Maps not appearing after change on Google’s end
- Add “Register” button to event when new Registration URL field is used
- Make soundfaith.com embeds responsive
- Add Montserrat font option to Customizer
- Make ‘Expiring Soon’ admin notice a warning (orange) and not error (red)
- Update admin notices to use new class names
- Add Polylang support to CT Archives widget
- Improve notice to install Church Theme Content plugin (now goes to plugin search result)
- Remove deprecated tags from style.css
- Simplify email encoding description in meta boxes
- Correct default map type override to ROADMAP (not ROAD)
- Update language files (new strings to be translated)
2.0 (June 30, 2016)
Blog Post: Updates for Google Maps
- Update framework to 1.8 (includes changes in 1.7.9)
- Make Google Maps use API Key from Church Theme Content plugin settings
- Make post content with image or embed show when there is no text content
- Fix breadcrumb path which mistakenly included /blog/ in base URL for date archives
- Update CT Meta Box to 2.0.1 (translation security)
- Port sermon index page templates (topics, series, books, speakers, dates) from Maranatha theme
- Port Child Pages page template from Maranatha theme
- Add support for new event Registration URL field in Church Theme Content plugin (button will display in next version)
1.5.3 (May 17, 2016)
Blog Post: Maintenance Releases — Going 100% SSL
- Update framework to 1.7.8 (includes changes in 1.7.6 and 1.7.7)
- Change churchthemes.com URLs to https (including license status checks and updates)
- Add support for mail icon when using mailto:email@example.com format or “newsletter” in URL
- Add Romanian translation by Laura Vlad Mihaela
- Add CSS to make pre tag wrap long text to next line
- Make CT Categories dropdown work when Give plugin is installed
- Avoid Theme Check iframe false positive on generic embed function
- Avoid Theme Check false positive for _n() in Galleries template
- Avoid Theme Check false positive on Customizer footer_notice default
- Fix incorrect textdomain
- Update language files
- Update screenshot size to new recommended size of 1200×900
1.5.2 (December 11, 2015)
Compatibility Update: This update has changes relating to WordPress 4.4. Update both the theme and WordPress for the best experience. Also see 1.5.1 below.
Adjust styling for comment form layout changes in WordPress 4.4
1.5.1 (December 9, 2015)
Compatibility Update: This update has changes relating to WordPress 4.4. Update both the theme and WordPress for the best experience.
Blog Post: Theme Updates for WordPress 4.4
- Update framework to 1.7.5 (includes changes in 1.7.4)
- Fix low quality slide images on WordPress 4.4 (complication of new srcset attribute)
- Fix error on Customizer when no pages have been created
- Fix PHP notice about phone variable
- Improve download “Save As” for locally hosted media
- Prevent videos from showing small before responsive sizing takes effect
- Remove ?sensor= parameter from Google Maps JS API; no longer required
- Caching of Customizer defaults as performance precaution
- Fix issue on some systems with CT People widget not ordering correctly when Group filter used
- Fix uncommon theme switching notice (when old theme doesn’t exist)
- Prevent responsive conflict with Jetpack SoundCloud shortcode
- Remove Locations link from breadcrumb when there is only one location
- Rename .exodus-assistive-text to .screen-reader-text for Theme Check
- Add readme.txt for documentation and support
1.5 (October 27, 2015)
Compatibility Update: It is important that you update the theme to this version before WordPress 4.4 is released in order to avoid the possibility of seeing an error (details).
Blog Post: Major Theme Updates Released
- Update framework to 1.7.3 (also see 1.7.2)
- Implement add_theme_support( ‘title-tag’ ) and remove ctfw-auto-title (WordPress 4.4 compatibility update)
- Make sermon download button show for externally hosted files
- Add support for Location Email field in Church Theme Content 1.5
- Add option to show email address in CT Locations widget
- Show email on location header (short and full) and site footer
- Add German translation update from FeG Dresden
- Add Dutch translation from Filadelfia Gemeente Zwaagwesteinde
- Remove add_theme_support( ‘ctfw-force-customizer-background’ ). WordPress 4.1 removed Background Image screen.
- Make menu dropdowns work properly in preview after changes via Customizer
- Make jQuery Validate load only when comments open (resolves conflict with Event Espresso)
- Performance optimizations (no_found_rows in framework queries)
- Theme activation routine improvements (use after_switch_theme action)
1.4.6 (September 17, 2015)
- Update German translation to use de_DE instead of en_US
- Remove German translation from POT file (should not have a translation)
1.4.5 (September 10, 2015)
- Update framework to 1.7.1
- Make Livestream embeds responsive (mobile-friendly)
- Add German translation by Michael Wildenhain
- Update translations from source
- Fix possible issue with some Google Maps not showing
- Require WordPress 4.3+
1.4.4 (August 17, 2015)
- Update framework to 1.7
- Enable Site Identity / Site Icon in Customizer with WordPress 4.3.
- Rename Logo & Tagline to Header & Logo in Customizer.
- Move Customizer option to hide breadcrumb path into Header & Logo since Navigation section will be replaced in WordPress 4.3.
- Use framework’s new ctfw-valid-embeds feature to correct invalid HTML5 on video embeds.
- Remove pubdate from time tag (new HTML5 validation requirement).
- Update exodus.pot language file to add missing contexts (thanks FeG Dresden).
- Fix CT Categories widget counts showing unstyled.
1.4.3 (June 1, 2015)
1.4.2 (April 30, 2015)
- Update framework to 1.6
- Google Maps integration improvements (see framework 1.6)
- Escape add_query_args in generic media embeds to ensure security (see framework 1.6)
- Update menu scripts (Superfish to 1.7.5, MeanMenu 2.0.8)
- Add iWatch to broad mobile detection for form styling purposes
- Fix invalid CSS in admin editor
1.4.1 (March 5, 2015)
- Update framework to 1.5.3
- Fix DateTime issue with PHP 5.2 causing fatal error on events calendar template
- Fix various translation strings’ context on calendar template (thank you David Decker)
1.4 (March 4, 2015)
- Update framework to 1.5
- Add monthly calendar template for events
- Add support for event categories (update Church Theme Content plugin to 1.3)
- Add events widget option to filter by category
- Show recurrence pattern on single event details
- Improve download button reliability
- Fix categories widget count for sub-category (now align rights like top-level categories)
- Make links in widget meta (e.g. event categories) non-bold to differentiate from title
- Improve handling of page banner when blog is set to “Posts page”
- Update language files
1.3.1 (January 23, 2015)
- Fix issue with comments link in post headers showing ‘s’ after number
1.3 (January 7, 2015)
- Update framework to 1.4.5 (includes changes in 1.4.3 and 1.4.4)
- Make event time display use General Settings time format
- Make date format translatable in Top Bar for sermons and posts
- Rewrite ctfw_site_path() to prevent an obscure error when URLs in General Settings mismatch
- Fix custom post type month archive URL for PATHINFO “Almost Pretty Permalinks”.
- Fix incorrect ‘% Comment’ string
1.2 (December 18, 2014)
- Update framework to 1.4.2 (includes changes in 1.4 and 1.4.1)
- Make dynamic show/hide in Customizer controls work in WordPress 4.1
- Update required version of WordPress to 4.1, upon theme activation
- Make event queries backward compatible with time fields to be released with Church Theme Content 1.2
- Adjust audio player time position
- Remove render fix from Customizer
- Update jQuery Cookie to 1.4.1
- Improve license inactive/expiration notice wording
- Update language file
1.1.3 (October 9, 2014)
- Fix PHP 5.4 and pre-WordPress 4.0 issues with “Widgets” panel position in Customizer
1.1.2 (October 2, 2014)
- Update framework from 1.3 to to 1.3.4
- Fix issue with title on footer map image being for wrong post
- Update MeanMenu to 2.0.7 (fixes Android orientation issue; thank you Richard Huss)
- Use add_theme_support() for HTML5
- Make static Google Maps use valid HTML5
- Make Google Fonts use valid HTML5
- Move Widgets panel to bottom of Customizer
- Update FitVids.js to 1.1
- Remove deprecated screen_icon() from Theme License page
- License system improvements
1.1.1 (June 4, 2014)
- Update framework to 1.3.1 to fix license activation issue introduced in last release
- See changes in 1.1 below as 1.1.1 was released immediately after.
1.1 (June 4, 2014)
- Update framework to 1.3
- Improve theme license handling
- Prevent extra space before commas in footer address
- Remove ‘Protected:’ and ‘Private:’ from breadcrumb
- Style telephone input fields
- Make sermonaudio.com URLs show podcasting icon
- Hide Jetpack statistic smiley in footer
- Fix widget issue with thumbnail covering excerpt
- Fix mb_strlen() error on hosts that disable it
- Update language files (new text needs translated)
1.0.1 (May 16, 2014)
- Update framework to 1.2.3 (also see 1.2.2)
- Fix page banner not showing when “Do not show text over featured image” checked
- Fix double share buttons on sermons when no content provided
- Restore global $post after header top posts loop (fix breadcrumb issue when tag has no posts)
- Breadcrumb improvements (framework)
1.0 (April 29, 2014)
- First release