Podcasting is built-in so you can podcast your audio sermons by sharing a feed URL with your listeners. Optionally submit your podcast to the iTunes Store.
Note: This guide is for podcasting MP3 files. Read SoundCloud for Podcasters if you are hosting sermons on SoundCloud.
MP3 files are automatically added as enclosures to your sermon RSS feeds (see Sermon Feeds).
Simply provide your visitors with a feed URL for them to use in their favorite podcast player, such as iTunes. You can write a note about your podcast in a Text widget, place a message at the top of your sermons page, etc.
- You can make a “Podcasting” sermon topic or tag then use that RSS feed for podcasting. Just add /feed/ to the end of the topic or tag’s URL. This way 100% of the sermons in that feed will have an MP3.
- You can increase the number of sermons the feed shows by going to Settings > Reading and changing Syndication feeds show the most recent. Note that this increases the limit for all RSS feeds, including blog posts.
Want to add a cover image to your podcast? Want to list your podcast in the iTunes Store for others to discover? You can use FeedBurner to enhance your feed.
- Determine the podcasting feed URL you will use (see Podcast Feeds above).
- Sign up or sign into Google’s FeedBurner service.
- Enter your podcasting feed URL into “Burn a feed right this instant” and check the box for “I am a podcaster”.
- Continue clicking Next and filling out details until you get to “Configure Your Podcast and Tell iTunes How to List It”.
- Check the box for Include iTunes podcasting elements then enter your extra details.
- Optionally provide a 1400×1400 cover image for Podcast image location. You can upload this via WordPress in Media > Add New.
- Click Next and continue filling out the options you want.
- When done, click on the feed icon at the top-left to view the FeedBurner version of your feed. Save this URL.
Submitting to iTunes
- Show a podcast icon by entering your iTunes podcast URL in the Customizer.
- Note that archive.org-hosted media may not work due to redirection issues.
- Provide a manual Excerpt to use as your summary (when editing a sermon, click “Screen Options” to enable the Excerpt box). Otherwise iTunes will use the full sermon content which may contain HTML and special characters that iTunes does not display nicely.