This guide covers features that are unique to Saved and not covered in the general guides.
- 1 Homepage
- 2 Menu Buttons
- 3 Content Notes
- 4 Image Sizes
- 5 Translations
- 6 Demo Media
- 7 Common Questions
- 8 Changelog
- 8.1 2.0 (March 3, 2021)
- 8.2 1.9 (December 9, 2020)
- 8.3 1.8 (August 11, 2020)
- 8.4 1.7 (April 1, 2020)
- 8.5 1.6.1 (December 16, 2019)
- 8.6 1.6 (November 12, 2019)
- 8.7 1.5.2 (September 27, 2019)
- 8.8 1.5.1 (August 12, 2019)
- 8.9 1.5 (May 17, 2019)
- 8.10 1.4.2 (April 1, 2019)
- 8.11 1.4.1 (March 13, 2019)
- 8.12 1.4 (March 12, 2019)
- 8.13 1.3.2 (January 18, 2019)
- 8.14 1.3.1 (January 9, 2019)
- 8.15 1.3 (December 5, 2018)
- 8.16 1.2.2 (October 11, 2018)
- 8.17 1.2.1 (October 5, 2018)
- 8.18 1.2 (October 1, 2018)
- 8.19 1.1.2 (November 15, 2017)
- 8.20 1.1.1 (October 3, 2017)
- 8.21 1.1 (September 12, 2017)
- 8.22 1.0.2 (July 31, 2017)
- 8.23 1.0.1 (July 29, 2017)
- 8.24 1.0 (July 25, 2017)
Saved’s homepage is a widget area than can show any number of widgets. See the Saved Homepage guide for instructions.
With Saved, you can transform any top-level menu item into a colored button. This is useful for making a particular link stand out. See “New Here” in the demo for an example. We recommend using this to highlight no more than one item, preferably the first or last.
- Go to Appearance > Menus and click on a top-level menu item to expand its settings
- Click Screen Options at the top-right and check the box for CSS Classes
- Enter “saved-menu-button” in the CSS Classes field for the menu item then click Save Menu
Saved features a single-column content area. The width and font size are carefully designed for optimal readability. Important elements like images, blockquotes and galleries extend outward for a dramatic effect (example). When a wider content area is desired, the Wide Content page template can be used. Certain pages use it automatically (such as the event calendar).
The clutter and mobile-unfriendliness of a sidebar is eliminated. Instead, an auto-generated section navigation appears below the header. This compact navigation replaces the most common sidebar widgets. When widgets are desired, they can be placed in the theme’s footer area.
Most admin areas that accept an image upload show the size that the image will be cropped/resized to. For absolute control, you can manually resize your images before uploading.
250×30 is the maximum recommended size. A logo with text all on one line will work best. Use a transparent PNG.
The logo image is not resized upon uploading so it is important to resize it beforehand. You may want to read the HiDPI Logo instructions as well.
Images appearing in the header are 1600×400. The default header image is set in the Customizer. Each page or post can have its own image of the same size that will override the default.
Homepage section (CT Section widget) images are cropped to 1680×1050. If you upload a larger image it will be resized and cropped. For the best result, precisely size your image before uploading and compress it to under 200 KB in file size (for faster loading).
When used on the homepage, widgets like CT Posts, CT Sermons and CT Giving let you upload an image to show to the side of their content. The target size for these images is 1024×1024. For the best result, precisely size your image before uploading and compress it to under 150 KB in file size (for faster loading).
The CT Highlight widget can be used in the footer widget area. It’s size is 720×720.
The image set on a person is resized/cropped to 720×480.
Gallery photos and photos embedded in content can be any size and the theme will show a resized version for more optimal viewing but the originals are stored on the server. Since digital camera photos can be several megabytes, you may want to resize photos to no more than 1024×1024 before uploading.
- Afrikaans (AF) by Magna Rautenbach
- Danish / Dansk (da_DK) by Peter Toldam and Jacob Honore Broberg
- Dutch / Nederlands (nl_NL) by Chris Beekhuizen
- English (en_US) by ChurchThemes.com
- French / Français (fr_FR) by Jean Berney
- German / Deutsch (de_DE) by Eduard Unruh
- Norwegian / Norsk bokmål (no_NB) by Eirik Broomfield Fjellestad
- Romanian / Română (ro_RO) by Dan Beltechi
- Swedish / Svenska (sv_SE) by Robert Granat and Ola Christensson
The photos and videos used in the theme’s demo are not licensed for distribution and not included with the theme. You can obtain your own licenses if you are interested in using any them on your site. See our Stock Photo Recommendations for others.
Lightstock sells Christian-themed stock imagery and video.
- Worship video
- Preacher speaking into microphone
- Man standing in the field with hands raised
- Man kneeling in prayer at the altar of a church
- Bible, wallet, passport, sunglasses, and iPhone on a table
- Family Saying Grace At Outdoor Picnic
- Men reading the Bible at a bible study
- Women sitting on a couch at a Bible study
- People entering a church
- Group holding hands in prayer
- Earbuds resting on a Bible
- Map and pins
- Passport and map
- Giving online
- Bible and earbuds
- Women with Bibles
- Men with Bibles
- Marshall Point Lighthouse
- Young Family
- Couple giving two young children piggyback rides
- Elementary Age Schoolchildren Answering Question In Class
- Amazon river blissful evening
- Man speaking
- Driving with GPS
- Children singing
- Calendar and notepad
- Copper clad chapel
- Brick church
- Christian worship concert
- Handsome young photographer sitting on window sill
- Carefee happy man enjoying nature
- Crowd Cheering Hands Raised
Please see the Updates guide for instructions on how to update the theme.
2.0 (March 3, 2021)
Compatibility Update: This version accommodates two changes with blocks in WordPress 5.7.
- Update framework to 2.8.1
- FIX: Third-party block not showing when no other content on page
- FIX: Admin area warning notice styling
- FIX: sermon.net full embed was cut off
- IMPROVE: Make full height cover block compatible with WordPress 5.7
- IMPROVE: Remove extra height from social icon blocks with WordPress 5.7
- IMPROVE: Add title attribute to sticky notice close button for accessibility
- IMPROVE: Add title attributes to search buttons for accessibility
- IMPROVE: Add label to search input for accessibility
- IMPROVE: Update translations
1.9 (December 9, 2020)
Compatibility Update: This release involves changes related to the version of jQuery used in WordPress 5.6.
- IMPROVE: Update framework to 2.8
- IMPROVE: Update CT Meta Box to 2.2.4
- IMPROVE: Update jQuery Validate to 1.19.2
- IMPROVE: Update ScrollReveal to 4.0.7
- IMPROVE: Replace jQuery deprecated jQuery methods (WordPress 5.6 compatibility)
- IMPROVE: Adjust font sizing in blocks for consistency in WP 5.6
- IMPROVE: Opt out of block-based widget editor (future WordPress compatibility)
- IMPROVE: Support podcasts.google URL for icons
- FIX: Make mobile menu compatible with newer jQuery (WordPress 5.6 compatibility)
- FIX: Widget block alignment in editor (WordPress 5.6 compatibility)
- FIX: Separator blocks on frontend (WordPress 5.6 compatibility)
- FIX: Sermon video embed not responsive when adding a second video to content of post
1.8 (August 11, 2020)
Compatibility Update: This release maintains compatibility with WordPress 5.5 (block editor styling) and newer versions of iOS on iPad and iPhone (menu dropdowns).
- Update framework to 2.7
- NEW: Make video upload for sermon use media’s feature image for poster
- IMPROVE: Style block editor title for WP 5.5
- IMPROVE: Preserve wide blocks in editor for WP 5.5
- IMPROVE: Update styling of widget blocks (categories, feed, recent posts, comments, calendar, tags, etc.) for WP 5.5
- IMPROVE: Adjust audio block alignment in editor for WP 5.5
- IMPROVE: Adjust editor width for WP 5.5, to match frontend
- IMPROVE: Adjust verse block alignment in editor for WP 5.5
- IMPROVE: Adjust code block font size for WP 5.5
- IMPROVE: Restore drop cap styling in block editor for WP 5.5 by removing .wp-block-paragraph
- IMPROVE: Adjust image, gallery, cover and other block styling in editor for WP 5.5 (replace .block-editor-block-list__block with .wp-block)
- IMPROVE: Add rel=”noopener noreferrer” to links with target=”_blank” for better security
- IMPROVE: sermons.net embeds
- FIX: Limit custom ordering note to people groups, event categories, sermon speakers and post categories to avoid confusion
- FIX: Issue with dropdown menu links failing on iOS devices using Chrome browser
- FIX: Add body.page to hash scroll detection JS
1.7 (April 1, 2020)
Compatibility Update: This release deals with a large number of WordPress 5.4 block styling changes.
Blog Post: Theme Updates for WordPress 5.4
- Update framework to 2.6.6
- Expand sermon.net detection (media center embeds)
- Add consideration reusable blocks when showing content
- Adjust frontend block styles for latest posts and RSS for WordPress 5.4
- Adjust button and list font for WordPress 5.4
- Update verse, preformatted and code block styles for WordPress 5.4
- Adjust pullquote styles for WordPress 5.4
- Adjust file block styling in editor for WordPress 5.4
- Style quote blocks for WordPress 5.4
- Adjust caption styling for WordPress 5.4
- Update block editor link styling for WordPress 5.4
- Adjust heading blocks in editor for WordPress 5.4
- Correct block appender class for WordPress 5.4
- Adjust block editor width for WordPress 5.4
- Adjust body font size in block editor for WordPress 5.4
- Make heading fonts in block editor compatible with WordPress 5.4
- Make verse block wrap
- Adjust margins on widget blocks
- Adjust font size in classic editor
- Update calendar for WordPress 5.4 markup changes
- Style new social icons block (WordPress 5.4)
1.6.1 (December 16, 2019)
- Enable Dropbox URL ?raw=1 for background video (Vide modification)
- Make Dropbox URL ?raw=1 pass test in widget section
- Fix CT Archive widget Type dropdown text so that it is translatable
1.6 (November 12, 2019)
Compatibility Update: This release maintains compatibility with WordPress 5.3’s block editor changes.
- Update framework to 2.6.5 (includes changes in 2.6.4)
- Adjust block editor title/content spacing for WordPress 5.3
- Prevent editor title from turning black on focus with WordPress 5.3
- Adjust editor heading font sizes for WP 5.3
- Prevent button border radius from affecting editor
- Force citation on blockquote to be left-aligned in WordPress 5.3
- Make full width image blocks work in WordPress 5.3
- Correct margin on Verse block in editor with WordPress 5.3
- Make captions centered with WordPress 5.3
- Update table block styles for WordPress 5.3
- Make separator block match frontend after WordPress 5.3 changes (no color)
- Adjust blockquote in block editor for WordPress 5.3
- Make Dropbox URLs work with media players and download button (not podcasting)
- Remove count on event dropdowns to avoid confusion with past events being included
- Fix misplaced mobile menu on scroll with Android devices using Chrome
- Add German translation
- Update Afrikaans translation
1.5.2 (September 27, 2019)
Compatibility Update: This release relates to compatibility with WordPress’s block editor as well as third-party page builders.
- Update framework to 2.6.3
- Output content when single audio or video block used
- Output content when Elementor or Beaver Builder used on page
- Add Spotify icon support
- Update table block styling
- Fix recurring event tooltip on mobile
- Fix New Testament and Old Testament columns on mobile
1.5.1 (August 12, 2019)
- Fix list block not using body font set in Customizer
- Fix long gallery block not appearing on scroll (now fades in immediately)
- Fix alignment of centered button block (last of multiple buttons would align right)
- Expand podcast icon support for more URLs: Castbox, LibSyn and Google Play (alternate URL)
1.5 (May 17, 2019)
Compatibility Update: This release maintains compatibility with WordPress 5.2.
Blog Post: Compatibility Updates for WordPress 5.2
- Update framework to 2.6.2 (includes changes in 2.6.1)
- Style new blocks in WordPress 5.2: Calendar, RSS, Tag Cloud, Search and Kindle
- Make Kindle block responsive
- Update styling for Cover block which in WordPress 5.2 allows blocks within
- Update styling for quote block in WordPress 5.2
- Adjust paragraph block styling, dropcaps and coloring for WordPress 5.2
- Make Classic Block styling match frontend in WordPress 5.2
- Update styling for various other blocks changed in WordPress 5.2
- Adjust body and heading font sizes to match frontend in WordPress 5.2
- Add support for wp_body_open() in WordPress 5.2
- Make date/position label show at bottom of thumbnail on mobile to help prevent obscuring people’s faces in photos
- Make CT Events widget on homepage consider multi-day events with today’s date excluded (show next non-excluded date instead)
- Add support for Nunito font
- Fix email encoding on homepage by changing the way section ID’s are added (not using DOMDocument)
- Remove console.log entry dismissing footer sticky
- Update Danish translation
1.4.2 (April 1, 2019)
- Fix email spam prevention on homepage by changing the way section IDs are added (not using DOMDocument)
- Remove unnecessary console.log call when dismissing footer sticky
- Update Danish translation
1.4.1 (March 13, 2019)
This update was made shortly after 1.4 in order to fix a bug introduced in that version. See 1.4 changes below.
- Fix character encoding issue on homepage introduced by 1.4
- Add space above ‘Custom Ordering’ note
1.4 (March 12, 2019)
Compatibility Update: This release includes a change relating to PHP 7.3 compatibility. It improves styling for widgets added in WordPress 4.8 and prevents a possible error when using old versions of WordPress.
Blog Post: Spring Cleaning (Theme and Plugin Updates)
- Update framework to 2.6
- Make mobile menu font size larger for easier use
- Enable mobile auto-linking phone numbers
- Add support for WP Offload Media plugin
- Make CT Posts widget on homepage order category buttons by count, since largest are most likely to be recently updated (formerly alphabetical)
- Make images used in CT Section widget responsive (useful when adding a logo there)
- Add support for Skype social icon
- Rely on download attribute only, instead of sending file contents with headers (less error prone, more secure)
- Make core widgets show message when incompatible with widget area
- Add IDs to homepage sections for linking like #saved-home-section-1 (with smooth scroll)
- Fix hand cursor showing on maps
- Fix posts from showing under Not Found page message
- Fix date still showing on CT Posts widget when not set to show and image is showing
- Fix bug causing posts widget on homepage having one post with no image to have too-small width above 1024px screen resolution
- Fix WP Audio / Video widget controls (WP 4.8+ compatibility)
- Fix styling for audio, video and gallery widgets in footer
- Fix Internet Explorer not showing image block
- Fix events without time causing hidden events to wrongly show
- Fix accent on CT Section title showing when centered and horizontal with no text or buttons
- Fix prev/next not considering time when multiple events on same day exist
- Fix PHP warning when each() used in ctfw_background_image_preset_urls() (PHP 7.3 compatibility)
- Fix newly added widget settings not taking effect until changed (force defaults)
- Fix “undefined function get_theme_file_uri()” fatal error when using WordPress 4.6 or older with up-to-date theme
- Fix widget save failing when relative URL used in field (automatically converted to absolute URL)
- Fix fatal error on event recurrence grandfathering when ctc_get_theme_support() not available
- Fix sermon books showing twice when starts with lowercase letter
1.3.2 (January 18, 2019)
This release further improves styling of WordPress blocks.
- Improve table block styling
- Improve file block styling
- Make block gallery images have hover effect
- Improve horizontal scroll prevention
- Require WordPress 5.0 (new installs)
1.3.1 (January 9, 2019)
Compatibility Update: This release provides additional styling and support for WordPress 5.0 and its Gutenberg block editor.
- Update framework to 2.5
- Make featured image size note show in block editor
- Make block colors change properly in block editor and Customizer
- Improve frontend blocks on mobile
- Apply body color to all elements in classic block
- Use add_theme_support( ‘responsive-embeds’ )
- Style block gallery alignment
- Style block button alignment
- Adjust date on latest posts block
- Style latest posts and categories blocks
- Style block table options
- Add padding to text with background
- Center citation on large quote block with centered text
- Make citation clickable on pullquote block
- Fix citation entry in block editor
- Fix ‘Add Text’ problem when adding new button block
- Improve drop cap sizing for small, large, etc.
- Style Media & Text block
- Make dropcap change color when change text color
- Style comments block
- Style file block
- Remove heading accent when heading aligned right
- Add Dutch (nl_NL) translation
- Update Danish translation
1.3 (December 5, 2018)
Compatibility Update: This release adds support for WordPress 5.0 and its new Gutenberg editor. Read Ready for WordPress 5.0’s “Gutenberg” Editor on our blog to learn how to prepare for Gutenberg.
- Update framework to 2.4.8 (including changes in 2.4.7)
- Add support for WordPress 5.0’s new “Gutenberg” editor (compatibility)
- Make sermon.net embeds responsive
- Add translation for Danish
- Fix undefined variable note on Media edit attachment
1.2.2 (October 11, 2018)
Blog Post: Theme and Plugin Maintenance Releases
- Update framework to 2.4.6
- Fix “Sermons” word showing in header for all post types
- Fix possibility of improper “Every Weeks” and “Every Months” wording in recurrence notes
- Fix CT Events widget not respecting category selection
- Avoid jQuery UI Datepicker conflicts
1.2.1 (October 5, 2018)
- Update framework to 2.4.5.
- Fix buttons in Appearance > Widgets not working (rename admin-body.php back to admin-enqueue-scripts.php).
- Prevent PHP undefined ‘notice’ variable on license expiration notice.
1.2 (October 1, 2018)
Compatibility Update: This release adds support for Church Content Pro and the beta version of WordPress’s new Gutenberg editor (Classic Editor still recommended for live sites until WordPress 5.0). It also resolves several browser-related issues and addresses changes in WordPress 4.9.x.
- Update framework to 2.4.4 (including changes in 2.3, 2.4, 2.4.1, 2.4.2 and 2.4.3).
- Add support for Church Content Pro add-on features.
- Add experimental support for beta version of Gutenberg editor.
- Make Ustream embeds responsive.
- Make “Expiring Soon” license notice show 7 days prior to expiration (formerly 30 days).
- Fix breadcrumbs conflict with Yoast Premium Prominent Words.
- Prevent conflict with AppPresser relating to theme updates.
- Grandfather basic recurrence for existing sites (Pro required for new sites).
- Make wording for sermons, events, etc. use functions filtered by Pro settings.
- Fix archive title to show date even when no post type recognized.
- Avoid various errors when Church Content plugin inactive.
- Style comment cookie consent checkbox added in WordPress 4.9.6 (compatibility).
- Adjust styling for updated media player in WordPress 4.9 (compatibility).
- Correct margin below heading accent in content editor for WordPress 4.9 (compatibility).
- Fix bug causing HTML validation and rendering issues (all browsers) when secondary widget placed before highlights widget on homepage (compatibility).
- Fix floated/aligned image near bottom of content causing footer to be eaten in Internet Explorer 11 (compatibility).
- Add Romanian, Norwegian and Afrikaans translations; update language files.
1.1.2 (November 15, 2017)
Compatibility Update: This update maintains compatibility with WordPress 4.9 in multiple ways. It is recommended that all users update to keep the audio player appearing as intended and to prevent errors when switching themes.
- Update framework to 2.2.2 (including changes in 2.2 and 2.2.1).
- Tweak: Adjust styling to accommodate WordPress 4.9’s updated audio/video player (compatibility).
- Tweak: Update language files.
- Fix: Prevent errors when live previewing theme in Customizer and when switching themes (compatibility).
- Fix: Correct misplaced heading accents in content editor with WordPress 4.9.
1.1.1 (October 3, 2017)
Compatibility Update: This update resolves a compatibility issue with the Safari browser.
Blog Post: Update to Fix Background Video in Safari 11
- Fix: Safari 11 update broke background video (compatibility).
- Fix: Linked images showed underline intended only for text.
1.1 (September 12, 2017)
Blog Post: Maintenance Updates for All Themes
- Update framework to 2.1.1 (includes 2.1, which is more significant).
- New: Prevent possibility of updating theme with another same-named theme from WordPress.org.
- New: Support new ctfw-loop-after-content-used framework feature.
- Tweak: Update theme updater class from Easy Digital Downloads Software Licensing – now unmodified.
- Tweak: Replace instances of “Church Theme Content” with “Church Content” – plugin renamed.
- Tweak: Improve wording on update notice.
- Tweak: Include improved Swedish translation by Ola Christensson.
- Fix: Make date ranges on event lists use abbreviations in same manner as single-day events.
- Fix: Make accent disappear on headings in content that are centered.
- Fix: Make blockquote text white on CT Section widget.
- Fix: Title used on Gallery widget on homepage has no top margin.
- Fix: Make person image correct size when no accent used.
- Fix: Make person image align correctly on mobile when no accent.
1.0.2 (July 31, 2017)
- Fix: Require WordPress 4.7 instead of 4.8 for managed WordPress hosts that delay major updates
- Fix: Update version in style.scss instead of only in style.css
1.0.1 (July 29, 2017)
- Fix: Sample content footer menu not being assigned to footer menu location after import
1.0 (July 25, 2017)
- First release