There are two ways to install a WordPress plugin. Both can be done with a few clicks.
The method you will use depends on where the plugin you are installing comes from. If it is a free plugin hosted in the WordPress Plugin Directory then you can use the Search and Install method. If it is a paid plugin that you downloaded as a .zip file (such as one of our add-ons), you will use the Upload and Install method.
Search and Install (Free Plugins)
Our Church Content plugin is hosted in the WordPress plugin directory. We’ll use it as an example of how you can install any free plugin from the official plugin directory.
- Go to Plugins > Add New.
- Type the plugin’s name in the search box then press “Enter” on your keyboard.
- Click Install Now then click Activate (which appears in place of the Install button).
Upload and Install (Paid Plugins)
Paid plugins cannot be hosted in the WordPress plugin directory so you will upload the plugin in order to install it. The paid plugins we offer fall into this category along with paid plugins from other providers.
The seller of your plugin should provide a .zip file that contains the plugin, such as custom-recurring-events.zip.
- Go to Plugins > Add New > Upload Plugin.
- Choose the plugin .zip file you downloaded.
- Click Install Now then Activate Plugin.
- Activate Your Plugin License to enable one-click updates.
Plugin Installation via FTP
It is also possible to install any plugin via FTP by manually uploading then activating in it your WordPress admin area. This is rarely necessary. Read Manual Plugin Installation in the WordPress Codex if you want to use this method.
- Plugin User Guides – Instructions for individual plugins.
- Plugin Updates Guide – Learn how to keep your plugins up-to-date with one click
- Installing Plugins (WordPress Codex) – The WordPress Codex provides additional details
- Plugins by churchthemes.com — We have a few plugins of our own that you can use
- Recommended Plugins — We have tested and recommend several plugins from other providers
- WordPress Plugin Directory — Search for more than 30,000 free plugins