It is common to build a new WordPress site in a subdirectory like yourname.com/new (or similar) then move it to yourname.com, so that the old site remains online while the new site is being made (see our staging guide). After your site is done, you can move it to the final location. Here are some tips:
- Deactivate your license key first, so you can reactivate it at the new URL.
- Use a backup/clone plugin like Duplicator (see other plugins) to backup then restore to the new location.
- Or, follow the steps in Moving a WordPress Site Without Hassle to move the site yourself.
- Or, make it really easy by hiring a professional to move it for you.
- Afterwards, the Velvet Blues Update URL plugin can be used to update URL’s used in content.
Be sure to back up your website before doing these things. The WordPress Codex has a Moving WordPress entry with additional information.