You can publish single or multiple-day events. They can recur weekly, monthly or yearly (with optional end date). Maps and directions can also be included. Events can be shown in a monthly calendar or in list format.
- 1 Events Pages
- 2 Event Categories
- 3 Managing Events
- 4 Recurring Events
- 5 Event Widgets
- 6 Event Registration
- 7 Photo Galleries
- 8 Event Troubleshooting
- 9 Common Questions
- 10 Resources
Main Events Page
First you need to create a page that shows the events.
- Go to Pages > Add New.
- Enter a title such as “Events” and any content that you want to appear at the top.
- Under Page Attributes, set Template to “Events – Upcoming” (list format) or “Events – Calendar” (monthly calendar).
- Optionally set a Featured Image (see Section Banners for related information).
- Click Publish.
Optional Events Pages
You can choose to make additional pages that show events in different ways. These page templates are available to you.
- Events – Calendar shows a monthly calendar
- Events – Upcoming lists upcoming events soonest first
- Events – Past lists past events in a similar manner
Monthly Calendar Tips
Here are tips for using the “Events – Calendar” template.
- You can go to Settings > General to make Week Starts On Sunday instead of Monday (the WordPress default).
- If your theme has a sidebar, it is recommended to hide it to allow the calendar more space. See the Options box when editing your page to hide the sidebar.
See Page Templates for more information.
Optionally organize events into categories such as children, classes, etc. You can then use a widget in the Events Sidebar to list the categories or link to them from your menu. Some of our themes do not have a sidebar. Instead, they automatically list event categories in the header.
- Go to Events > Categories.
- Complete the form to add a category.
- View, edit and delete them on the right.
Adding an Event
- Go to Events > Add New.
- Enter a title for the event.
- Use the content editor to write information about the event.
- Fill in the details under Date & Time (Start Date is required).
- Fill in the optional details under Location (venue, address, map).
Note: You must set your Google Maps API Key in order for maps to work.
- Optionally enter details for Registration (see Event Registration below).
- Write a short Excerpt summarizing the event.
- Optionally select or add the Category that this event belongs to.
- Optionally click Set featured image to set upload an image representing the event.
- Click Publish.
Editing and Deleting Events
- Go to Events > All Events.
- Hover over an event to see the Edit and Trash options.
Events can be set to recur weekly, monthly or yearly on the same day. When an event ends, its dates are automatically moved forward. You can use this feature by choosing an option in the Recurrence field (see screenshot above). You may optionally provide a date for automatic recurrence to end after.
Are your events not recurring? See the Troubleshooting section below.
Go to Appearance > Widgets and drag widgets into the Events Sidebar (if your theme supports a sidebar). These widgets will appear on all event-related pages.
You can show any widgets in a sidebar but the CT Events widget is especially relevant. It can show upcoming or past events. It’s also useful for showing upcoming events on the homepage.
Read the Widgets guide for more information.
There are several solutions you can use for event registration.
- A basic solution is to use a form plugin like Contact Form 7 or Ninja Forms to embed a registration form into your event’s content (using a shortcode). Both are free and will email you each registration (form submission). Ninja Forms can also store submissions in your WordPress admin area.
- If you are using a church management system (ChMS), it may have an event registration feature that you can link out to. You can use the Registration URL field for this and it will cause a Registration button to show.
- If you need something more sophisticated (e.g. selling tickets), consider linking out to a service like EventBrite (free for free events) or Bizzabo. TypeForm is another possibility. You can use the Registration URL field for this also (see screenshot above).
- You can search the Plugin Directory for a plugin that adds event registration functionality.
Please let us know what works best for you so we can refine these tips for other churches.
Photo galleries can be embedded in event content. This is something you may want to do after an event has ended or to show photos from a previous occurrence of the event. See the Galleries guide for information.
There are some things you can check if your events are not working as expected.
Event Not Showing
- Make sure the event has a Start Date or End Date that is today or future in order for it to show on Upcoming Events.
- If your events page is not showing events, make sure it is using the Events – Upcoming (or Events – Past) template.
- If events are not showing in the CT Events widget, make sure the widget is set to show Upcoming or Past accordingly.
Event Not Recurring
- Check your event to be sure that it is set to recur as expected.
- Are you using a caching plugin? If so, be aware that caching plugins can interfere with WordPress’s ability to run scheduled tasks, such as moving an event’s date forward, publishing scheduled posts, etc. You should setup a cron job manually to ensure various WordPress maintenance is completed.
- There are other reasons WordPress may not be firing scheduled tasks. Install Debug Bar and Debug Bar Cron then click “Debug” at the top of your admin area. If the “Cron” section shows all dates in the past then WordPress’s simulated cron is not executing as expected and you should setup a cron job manually.
- How can I organize events into categories?
- How can I show events in a monthly calendar?
- How can I make an event recur in a custom manner?
- Why are recurring event dates not changing automatically?
- Why don’t the extra options with Custom Recurring Events show?
- Why isn’t my event showing?
- How can I make the calendar start the week on Sunday?
- Why can’t I create a page at domain.com/events?
- Can visitors register for events?
- Why are same-day events showing in the wrong order?
- Can I make an event recur on the fifth week of a month?
- How can I duplicate an event?